Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Sweet kids

Once again, the week has flown by. The pics of the kids were from last weekend. They had sooo much fun playing outside on the "Belly Slide" - as Chloe calls it. We found a recipe on the internet for body paint, so we made some and that just added to the slippery-ness of the slide. It was cheap entertainment. They played outside for a couple of hours. Chloe wanted a butterfly on her back (the purple paint didn't turn out so purple).




Here they are with the paint. If you're interested it was 1/4 c. dishsoap, 2T cornstarch - stir together until smooth, then add food coloring. I made sure to tell them to keep it away from their eyes. After making it, I thought of using baby shampoo as an alternative. We'll try that next time.

Here's a video. They're all painted up and having fun.


I experimented on our dog, BamBam this week and gave him a haircut. He didn't seem to mind too much. His haircuts cost more than mine, so I decided to give it a try.

When I haven't been busy with the kids or Greg or the dog, I've been doing homework and studying. Some of my assignments are due at the end of next week, and I wanted to finish them before I leave for Alabama on Sunday. I'll come back on Thursday. Two of my friends, Amy and Dejah are going with me. The beach isn't far away, so they'll get to soak up some sun while I'm sitting in class. I'm supposed to be finished by 5 or 6:00 every evening, so I'm hoping to see the beach at some point while we're there - that's why I wanted to finish the assignments early. One friend asked me who would be taking care of the kids while I was gone. I said, "Greg." She acted suprised and said her husband wouldn't do that. Greg was taking care of Maddie, Carter, and Chloe for 24 hours at a time when Chloe was six-weeks old. That's when I went back to work. He's a very capable daddy.

Speaking of work, I may start looking for something part-time after I return from Mobile. I have a few things to check into when I get home.

While I'm gone, Chloe will start Mother's day out and both the girls will start dance. They are both so excited. Chloe's been putting on her dance clothes and dancing on the window seat in our bay window - it's her stage. She's such a ham. The girls have also become my study-buddies. I was watching several physical exams on infants this evening on the internet and had the earphones plugged into the computer. The kids had the Disney channel on, but Chloe wanted to sit beside me watch the exams. She put in one of my earphones and watched with me for about 30 minutes. Earlier this evening, I was looking at an amazing site on the heart and Maddie sat with me and asked questions while I went over that info. Maddie asked if she would learn this stuff (about the heart) in the eighth grade. "Ummm, no." I told her. "Maybe when you go to college." It's amazing how curious and ready to learn kids are.

Carter found a new spot to read this evening. He's not really fond of reading, but I guess it's more fun if you're up in a tree. He had climbed up pretty high in the magnolia tree in our backyard. That's where I found him when it was time for dinner. As long as it makes him happy and helps him enjoy reading - I'm all for it.

I spoke with one of our favorite nurses on the phone this evening. It was so nice to hear her voice. She became like family to us. She told me about a dream she had a few nights ago about Mav. She said he was sitting up in his hospital bed laughing - he had his monkey. No tubes - she said she was playing with him. Soooo sweet. I miss our sweet boy. Here's a pic of him and his daddy from Greg's phone.

Well, enough for tonight. Have a good weekend. Love you all, jc

1 comment:

Laura said...

Praying for you during this upcoming week. I think of Maverick every time I look at my son...born one day earlier with similar heart issues. Your strength is amazing. Praying, praying for you!!!