Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Whew! This week has been a whirlwind. It was the kids first full week of school and mine as well. We have been very busy. Maddie is enjoying school. Carter is enjoying recess. Chloe enjoys having me to herself. This afternoon she said something about wanting to go with me to take the kids to school tomorrow - which by now is today. I told her tomorrow was Saturday and they don't go on Saturday. She got a disappointed look on her face. I asked her if she was upset they weren't going to school and she shook her head yes. She's kept me smiling. A couple days ago I asked her what she wanted to eat for breakfast. I gave her four choices and held up four fingers (breakfast bar, cereal, waffle, or toast). She looked at me and slightly squinted her eyes and said, "What's that one?" as she pointed to my thumb. I said "That's not one," and went through the choices again. She said, "I know what that one is..." and then went on, "I would defeee (definitely) eat a pupcake (cupcake)." I couldn't help but laugh.



She and Carter have been having fun playing in the water after school. They put our old slip-and-slide at the bottom of a slide. They call it the "belly slide." I caught Chloe lathering up out there the other evening. She snuck in the house and took the shampoo outside.



Maddie and Chloe signed up for dance this week. They are both looking forward to it. They start the first week of September. That's when Chloe will start mother's day out. I'll be gone to Mobile Sun-Thurs of that week for orientation for the clinical component of the nursing program.



We finished up Maddie's furniture last weekend. We're going to get it arranged in her room this weekend. I'm sure she'll put some pics of it on her blog. She did a great job on it.



Reading, studying, writing papers and doing quizzes is consuming all my extra time - and it's only the first week of school. It's a good kind of busy, though. In my studying I'm coming across many things that take my mind back to Mav - different lab values, heart defects, renal issues. I think about him a lot. It's nice to know that someday soon I'll be able to do more to help other kids who may be in similar circumstances. I had to write a paper on my personal philosophy of nursing this week. His life has made a huge impact on that aspect of my career. When I get it completely finished and turned in I'll post it for you all to read.


Isn't this sweet? This is a picture I downloaded from Greg's phone. He had so many pictures on his phone that we hadn't transferred until a week ago. It is one of my favorites. We still have some on the camcorder that we haven't even looked at yet. Maybe soon. Mav's birthday is coming up soon. It's so hard to believe it's almost been a year since he was born. We're still trying to decide what we want to do. I know it will be a tough day, so we may just keep it simple.
I think we might release some balloons at the cemetery.


Greg is staying busy with work. His back is still bothering him. We're waiting to find out if the insurance will cover a pain pacemaker. It's an electrical stimulation unit that works by blocking the transmission of the painful stimuli from his back to his brain. Hopefully, it will be approved and give him some extra relief.

Hope you all have a good weekend. Love you all, jc

No comments: