Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

We've had a good weekend. Friday evening we went over to Greg's Aunt Sheila and Uncle Bob's house for a cookout. Most of the people from his dad's side of the family were there. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten together with all of them in several years. We had a wonderful time and I'd like to think little Mav played a part in making it happen. When he was in the hospital several of our relatives from Greg's side of the family came to sit with Mav in the evenings at the hospital. We've all become much closer since. I've loved getting to know them all - they're wonderful people. The kids had a great time playing with their cousins. I remember playing with my cousins as a child and what fun it was. I want that for the kids.

There were two sweet babies there - both were Sheila and Bob's grandchildren. Chloe tried to take over the care of little Kayleigh. Little Cooper was tired and was trying to go to sleep, so he was off the hook. Chloe got in on K's bath and fed her a bottle and helped put her in her jammies. She (Chloe) enjoyed it sooo much. Thanks to her parents Kasey and Paul for being so tolerant of her "help." Little K seemed to be okay with it, too.

Chloe helping with the bath - Miss K wasn't having such a great time at this moment.

Little Miss K loved Maddie's sparkly shirt.

Cooper is the son of Jill and Justin. They live in Texas and Justin visited us and little Mav a lot while he was in the hospital. It was great to see them and their sweet baby boy. This was the first time we got to meet both the babies. Thanks so much to Bob and Sheila for hosting the event. We really enjoyed it.

Greg with baby Cooper.

I think Carter wore Justin out. They played "washers."

Saturday was spent working on Maddie's desk and cleaning up Chloe's room. I'm still trying to get stuff ready for a garage sale. Hopefully I'll be ready this weekend. That may be a bit ambitious - we'll see. The pile in the garage is definitely growing.

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night, so we slept in this morning. Tonight is the last night the kids are staying up late. We'll try to get everyone (myself included) back into a routine before school starts on Wednesday.

The girls and I went to a wedding shower this afternoon. Greg and Carter had some male bonding time. C-man and I are having some time together tomorrow. When Maddie and I got home the other day from our "girls day" he asked when we could have our day together. Awww - isn't that sweet? So, tomorrow is our day and I'm sure we'll spend most of it at the skate park. I haven't looked at the weather, but I hope it's not as hot tomorrow as it was today.

I just finished reading the Sunday paper. There was an article about a patient in London who received a heart transplant at five months old. They left her original heart in hoping that the new heart would allow her own heart time to heal (she had two hearts in her chest). They've recently removed the donated heart and her heart is functioning well and has healed. She's now sixteen and is playing sports and living a normal life. I hope someday there are even more options for babies with sick hearts. Here's a link to the story if you're interested.http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=106&sid=1717022

Here's a sweet video of our sweet baby Mav.

3 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE, love, love the video of little Mav! Wil and I watched it this afternoon. He always says he feels sad for you Juli and wants you to be happy! I told him you are getting there... Jesus is holding you my precious friend. I so enjoyed the pics of Maddie, Carter, and Chloe! Sweet kids! You and Greg are so blessed! Chloe the ultimate babysitter! I love you!

Marci said...

Juli, this video just brought me to tears, however I still watched it a few times. I miss your Baby Mav so much and all of you guys. Best of luck this year with school, I think of you all often and you're still in my prayers.

Juli said...

Kim, Thanks - miss you all.

Marci, Thanks so much. We miss you, too. Please call one of us or text us with your new cell phone number so we can keep in touch.