Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Weekend

We were pretty busy this weekend. Friday after school we took the kids to OKC and went to a park. We took the long way home and stopped by Greg's older brother's grave in Harrah. He and a friend drowned while fishing at Lake Texoma when Greg was a junior in high school. Greg's mom is from Harrah, so we drove by the house she grew up in. Quite the history lesson for the kids. On the way home we went by and looked at granite for Mav's grave. It's kind of hard to decide. We'll be looking at it for the rest of our lives and we want it to be perfect.

Saturday was a fun day for Carter. One of his friends invited him to a private football clinic held by Adrian Peterson - his friend's parents bought it at a fundraiser. For those of you who don't keep up with sports, he used to play football for OU. Now he plays for the Minnesota Vikings and is an amazing running back from what I hear. I'm not much of a sports fan, but I had heard of him. There are a few pictures of the clinic below. He had a great time. They went through some drills and scrimmaged, then he signed autographs and answered questions. He was a really nice guy and was very good with the kids. We so appreciate the invite. I'm sure that will be something Carter will always remember. Later that night Carter asked me what football players eat because he wants to be a football player. He is my picky eater. The only vegetable he eats is raw carrots, and french fries - if they count. I thought, "Hmm, this is my chance." "They eat eggs, meat, lots of vegetables and fruit." We talked about it for a while. Then he said, "Mom, I thought about it, and I'm the only one in our family who doesn't eat salad. I want some salad when we get home." WHOO-HOO - thank you Adrian Peterson! Carter ate salad when we got home. Greg was wondering what was going on when he asked for it.

Saturday afternoon I went grocery shopping and when I came home to put stuff in the freezer I didn't have enough room. I decided to get rid of some milk - I haven't cleaned out all of it, yet. I had given some of it away, but there was still a ton of it in the freezer. I really can't explain why I haven't gotten rid of it sooner; well, yes I can. I guess I have an emotional attachment to it. All the bottles had his name and the date and time on them. I pumped through January - he was never even able to make a dent in it. It was hard for me to quit, though. I felt like if I stopped, I was giving up on him. It was a bit more difficult to continue after we came back to Oklahoma. When I wasn't with Mav, I was with the other kids and it took up some of that precious time. So, if you are one of my freezer hook-ups keeping that milk in your deep freeze, you may dispose of it. Thanks for keeping it for me.

Today we all went to church. It was Senior Sunday - as in high school senior - a couple of the young men did the music and it was amazing. Later in the service the pastor interviewed some of the youth who had gone through a thirty-week discipleship class. What focused young people they were. I hope our children are as dedicated as they are. Seeing how mature these young people are in their faith helped me refocus.

This evening was Family Fun Night at our church. The kids had so much fun. The pictures are from this event. I saw a lot of friends I hadn't seen in a while. It was nice to visit with everyone. The question about nurse practitioner school came up a few times. One of my friends that applied with me called them last week and they said we will know the end of May or first week of June. I don't even think I ever put the name of the school on here. It is the University of Southern Alabama. The program is online except for 3-5 days per year that have to be spent on campus. You arrange your clinicals in your area. It won't be long before I have an answer.

We went to Mav's grave this evening and someone had placed a flower or Fourth of July spray at all the babies' graves. I thought that was very nice.

Once again, I've rambled long enough. Love you all, jc

No comments: