Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

What would I do without them?

Seriously, what would I do without our kids? They keep me going and make me laugh everyday.
The morning started out a bit on the wrong side. I woke up at 7:35. That's the time we usually leave the house to go to school. I had the kids hurry up and get dressed - I stayed in my pjs and put on some flip-flops and didn't even brush my teeth or comb my hair. I told them I would stop by the donut place and get them a donut on the way to school. Maddie went in and I promise you it took 15 minutes to get donuts today. The line was almost out the door. With donuts in hand we drove to the school. I'm getting ready to turn into the parking lot and Maddie comments on how many cars are there today. "Oh, no. Someone has their awards ceremony today," I say. Maddie urges me to stay parked until she finds out if it is one of theirs - so that I can come in and watch if it is... "Maddie, honey, I still have on my pajamas. I can't come in looking like this. Hopefully it's not one of yours." She finally agreed that I was a bit under dressed, so she and Carter went into school and I drove off. It wasn't for either of their classes, thankfully.
I made it back home and got ready. The exterminator came at 9:30 - we've had ants really bad this year. When he left it was about time to leave to go to OKC. Chloe and I went and had a nice lunch with some of my Mediflight friends. We made it back in town in time to pick up the kids from school. Carter went to a friend's house for awhile and had had baseball practice later this evening. Coming home from baseball practice, Carter's commenting about the mosquitoes and how the bug spray wipes didn't work for him. He and Maddie were talking about how they work and decided that the bugs are supposed to leave you alone because they don't like the smell. Carter says, "Well, that mosquito must have held his breath, because he stung me anyway." I had to laugh. Then he was talking about the practice which was actually a scrimmage. He played catcher at one point in the game. He said, "Mom, it was hard being the empire." I told him he was the catcher and he continued to disagree. Then I had to tell him it was really "umpire," but he was still the catcher. It was an amusing ride home.
When we got home, the kids had some ice cream and took showers. I gave Chloe a quick bath. She loves her towel that's in the pic above - that pic is one of my favorites from last summer. We got it when she was a baby from one of my friends and she always has to have it. When she gets out of the tub, I wrap her up in it and she always says, "Hold me like a baby." Always, except for the past two nights... I think she's getting big and outgrowing it. I wrote about times like this in one of my other posts - how you always remember the firsts, but not the lasts. I think we're about to the last of those words. How sad. We went into her room and she was looking at herself in the mirror with the flower on her head. She said, "I'm growing." I said, "Yes, you are."
Well, I've babbled long enough. I need to go spend some time with Greg. He cleaned the carpet in the living room this evening - yeah! Hope you all have a good night. Love you all - jc

No comments: