Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Milk Moustaches

Today Maddie and I went to the OKC Memorial Marathon. This was at the "Got Milk?" booth after we finished. We had a great time. We ran the last 1.2 miles for her to complete the kids' marathon. I thought about Mav the whole way - about his fighting spirit. We ran then browsed the marathon grounds. We toured the OKC Memorial. That was the first time we had been there. It was amazing. It was first class all the way. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been. I still remember where I was when the bombing happened. I was just out of nursing school and was working for Dr. Robert Buchanan at St. Anthony's North. He is a plastic surgeon. I was in the office looking over pre-op charts and felt the building shake. We were at 63rd and Centennial Expressway. We turned on the television and saw what had happened. Dr. B and I went to St. Anthony's to help however we could. Greg was already there working. It's horrible to think how one person could cause so much harm.

After we finished, we went home and planted some flowers in the window boxes. I went to the cemetery this evening. It was so windy, I didn't take flowers this time. They would've blown away. As I was pulling up, I thought how wrong it was to have to visit my baby at the cemetery. This has been so difficult.

Yesterday, the girls and I went to see my Granny and Pa in Tuttle. We had lunch with Gran and went shopping for awhile. It was fun. Granny made us a lemon pie - one of my personal favorites - that and coconut. Everyone should have a Granny like mine. I'm a lucky girl.

Well, I better go try to get some sleep. Love you all, jc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing. Tell Maddie congrats for her run...very impressive.

I second your comment about the memorial. It is a first class memorial to those that lost their lives.

I'm so very sorry you have to visit Mav at the cemetery. I so wish you didn't have to.