Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wow, Wednesday already

This week is going by fast. It won't be much longer and the kids will be out of school for summer. I'm looking forward to sleeping in some - hopefully. Here's the wrap-up of the week so far...

Monday Chloe and I just stayed around the house while the kids were at school and Greg was at work. I was having a hard day. I had Maverick on my mind a lot. Chloe was putting on a talent show for me, all dressed-up in her ballerina attire. I turned on the radio and she found the station she wanted. She started to dance, then the song changed. She danced for just a bit and got a funny look on her face and said, "This a sad song. This is for Maverick." It was Garth Brooks' 'Unanswered Prayers.' Then she walked straight over to the radio and changed the station.

I did finally get the blinds up in the living room. They look nice. Heck, anything is better than the circa 1950's pull-down shades that no longer pull down. Greg really likes the new ones. I was expecting them to be a bit more concealing. During the day you can't see into the house from the street; however, at night it's a different story. Oh, well. They look nice.

Tuesday Chloe went to Mother's Day Out and a friend and I went to OKC to a fabric store. I love fabric stores. I finally got some fabric for the window seat in the living room. We've had the foam for the cushion for years, and I've never picked out the fabric. It was fun looking at all the neat ideas and the beautiful fabrics. My friend and I had lunch and then rushed back to get our girls from MDO. I told myself all day long that I had to choose to be happy. It was a choice. That worked while I was busy. It seems like it's in the evening when things are slowing down that I start thinking and get really sad. Greg and I sat up and talked last night. I can't imagine going through all this without him. He's such a great support for me right now. He understands.

We are putting the other house on the back burner for now. I don't think either one of us could handle the stress of getting this one ready for showing or potentially packing everything up and moving right now. It was something to think about for awhile, but I think reality has set in. It would be a big hassle and a lot of time.

Today Chloe and I stayed in most of the day. I have many tasks that I should have completed by now, but haven't. I worked on some of those today. Maddie made me laugh out loud today. After she came home from school, she told me about her social studies project. Their class was divided into groups and had to form a country with a government and laws. Her group consisted of some of her friends and was all girls. There were some laws that brought a smile to my face, and one in particular that was hilarious. Here are some of them:
No child abuse
No drugs (but you can have medicine)
No littering
No throwing oils in the oceans
No gangs
No going over the speed limits
Men and women should have the same rights
No kidnapping
You should recycle
You have to wear clothes (except for jogging men)

Are you laughing? I was. She explained what they meant by that last one, "You know, how men jog without their shirts on?" It still just cracked me up. I talked to one of my friends on the phone tonight and she died laughing as well. Here's a line from their constitution: "Most people in EMRA should have the right of speech." Maybe that's how ours should read as well. I told Maddie I would have to take her picture with this document. I would post it, but for now, you know my excuse - it's the phone thing. I can't even send a text. It says something about the memory. I have a memory card that barely has anything on it. Maybe one day I'll be more technically inclined and I'll be able to figure this thing out. Hope you have a good night. Love you all - jc

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you this week, friend.
I love the stories of the kids. Life is anything but boring.
Love,
Amber

the aldrich family said...

what a doll! relish in the giggly girl moments. do you realize how much she looks like you?

Bill and Mary said...

Hi Juli! I love Maddie's rules! Too funny...and also, some of them are just plain GOOD (ie: no child abuse). I am happy to read that it made you laugh and that you are having some good days.

I am starting up a chapter of It's My Heart here in Michigan and we're going to be doing a fundraiser (a 5k) come October. We're having team t-shirts and I would love to honor all our CHD babies/kids, including Maverick...if it is OK with you. I would have his name on the t-shirt along with the others. If it is not OK, I totally understand. I wanted to run it by you before we draw them up. Also, if it's OK to do this and you would want one, I will send one to your Church for you.
God bless,
Mary

Dianna Black said...

Oh this makes me laugh...I love that girl you know our whole fam does!!
Give yourself a great big fat huge HUG!
D or M-I-L

Anonymous said...

Love the post and yes I was laughing. How cute! I agree, men should jog without clothes on...but only if they look good. I, myself, wear as many clothes as possible. LOL

That being said, I remember I took my youngest son, Dillon, jogging with me once when I was quite a bit younger and he rode his bike. he said, "Mama, your butt jiggles when you jog." So...I jogged at night or walked during the day. :)

Hang in there.

Love,

Sherry

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, the replies to your post are too funny....I wouldn't mind living in your daughters country, but I would like for men to wear shorts for obvious reasons...haha. Too funny about the reply with the jiggly booty...can't wait for our children to air our dirty laundry...lol i'm glad you were able to get some laughs from your daughter and thanks for sharing!

Juli said...

Mary, We would be honored to have Mav's name on the shirt. I would love to have one. Thanks for thinking of him.

Sherry, you're post cracked me up!