Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Moving the Crib and My Heart Check-up

Maddie has wanted her own room for quite awhile now. We finally caved this weekend and did some re-arranging of the rooms at our house. We have an extra living room that we moved our room into and she now has our old room, leaving Chloe in their room. Thanks to the Quinns for helping us move everything. We took the crib out of Carter's room and re-configured it for a daybed for Chloe's room. I think that was easier than taking it completely down and seeing it in the garage.

Maddie has been painting bedroom furniture for her room. The bed they shared was bright bubblegum pink and didn't match the bedding her grandma bought her, so she painted it. I taught her all the tricks of painting and she took off and did a great job on her own. I'll put some pics of it on here when she's finished.

I had my cardiology check-up today with Dr. Ward. They did an echo in the office. The device is in the right place and there is no flow around it - which is great. The echo and EKG both showed my heart looks completely normal - no abnormalities at all. No damage from all the years walking around with an ASD. That's nice to know. I got sad driving back home in the rain. I wish I would've been taking Mav up there for a check-up.

I got a big box of pictures out of the garage tonight. One of the projects I want to finish requires finding some specific baby pics of Maddie. I've already finished the pics of Carter and Chloe. Maddie's weren't in the box. I know they're out there somewhere. I just haven't found the right box yet. We had a great time looking at all the pictures, though. I can't believe how quickly they've grown.

Love you all, jc

PS Martha - Can I post the beautiful poem Bob wrote? I saw it on Mitch's blog.

4 comments:

Dianna Black said...

Julie... I looked up the poem from Mitch's sight and thought it was beautiful! Also, I recognized two of my friends in some of the pictures...it is such a small world..thanks for yesterday! Love you all..xoxo

Kim said...

Juli,
I am so happy that things went so well with your appointment yesterday! I know that gives you and the whole family much peace. I so enjoyed my time with you last week. Wish it could be that way every week!!!! I love you!
Your personal Shwanee Staker...
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi, Juli!

So, I have to know, what are your tricks to painting furniture? We have painted some without any luck, and I don't think my hubby will let me try again without consulting with some pros. :) The last piece we painted was a light brown and we painted it a chocolate brown for my 15yo daughter's room, but it turned out "tacky", meaning to the touch, not the look. Any advice?

You all are still in our prayers daily. I check everyday for your posts, and always enjoy reading what you have to say. Thank you for sharing your story with a complete stranger.
Jaime (in Edmond)

Juli said...

Di - it is a small world. Thanks for letting Kirk hang with us. They're having a great time.

Kim - I wish you could be here all the time! Maybe someday.

Jaime - I'm not a professional, but we've done a lot of painting. Make sure you know what you're painting over. If it's anything oil based and you go over it with latex based paint, it won't stick well. That's probably what happened to you. You can paint over oil based paints with another oil based paint (that's what we did with Maddie's bed) or you can prime it with with a primer like Kilz and then use a latex paint. Another option is sanding the shine off if it's stained and coated then painting. Hope this helps. The tricks I was showing Maddie were like how much pressure to use on the brush, how to use the pointed edge of the sash brush to get into corners, how much paint to get on the brush, and which direction to make the brushstrokes. Thanks so much for your continued prayers. Maybe we'll meet someday.