Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Not much excitement around here. We went to the movies yesterday in Bricktown (with our super deal movie passes) with our friends the Mays. We had lunch in Midwest City and stopped by Target on the way home. Maddie went swimming yesterday evening. Chlo and I took a nap. I didn't sleep much the night before - Mav has been on my mind a lot.

Today we ran some errands and went by CVS and Walmart. We just needed to get a few groceries. Maddie picked several more tomatoes today, so we made some tomato and mozzarella salad with fresh basil and rosemary from our little herb garden. I loved it, Maddie and Chloe weren't too impressed. I don't think they were too fond of the fresh herbs. I also made my favorite beer bread. It's sooo easy to make. 3 cups self-rising flour, 1/3-1/2 cup sugar, 1 can beer, rosemary - fresh or dried to taste, fresh-cracked black pepper to taste. Combine everything and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Here it is. I make it with spaghetti, but it would be good for sandwiches as well.

Maddie and her tomatoes - grape, cherry and patio.

The plan was to make spaghetti, but no one was very hungry, so I stopped cooking there. Maddie made some yummy fruit pizza and then declared that she wants to be a chef. I told her as long as she cleans up the mess she can cook whenever she wants. She started a blog today to share her adventures. It's http://www.dancergirlsadventures.blogspot.com/. Go over and check it out. She loves to coupon as much as I do, so she shares our good deals there. She had a lot of fun setting it up.

I received some news today from the University of Southern Alabama about a new doctorate of nursing program in acute care pediatrics. For my non-medical friends, it's an advanced nursing degree - a nurse practitioner that works in children's emergency rooms and PICUs. I've always loved the intensity of these areas, so I've sent some questions back to the coordinator to find out some more information. I could switch to this option if I want, but it would take three years full-time to complete.

Carter came back home this evening. He had a great time with his friend, Jack, at the lake. Immediately after he got in the vehicle he asked, "What are we doing this evening?" That is his personality to a T. He and Chloe are camping out in the living room tonight. Here's a pic of them.


Right now they're screaming and fussing with each other. Don't let their sweet faces fool you.

Greg is hanging in there. His back is bothering him some. I know most people don't realize how blessed they are to have their health until something happens to disrupt it. If you're feeling good, be thankful :) Love you all, jc

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to put a comment on Maddie's blog - but I am not that computer savvy! Tell Maddie her fruit pizza looks great - I love fruit and will have to try to make it sometime. I'm proud of you Maddie! Love, Grandma Teresa

hannah said...

Hello, Juli! I have been following your blog for some time now, and I thought I'd better introduce myself because I'm following Maddie's blog too, and I didn't want you to be weirded out about some stranger from Garland, TX reading your daughter's blog. :)

My name is Hannah Poole, and I'm a friend of Laura Henley's, here in Murphy, TX. She has a heart baby named Chase who will be 1 year old in September. I think she even went to the Dallas Zoo with you and a mutual friend, once... anyway, I read her blog regularly, and back in February she posted some prayer requests for you and your family on her blog... and since then, I've been keeping up with you. I hope that's all right. I was drawn in by your writing and your stories of Maverick's fighting spirit, and I prayed - and still pray - daily for you.

Months ago you wrote that it was interesting for you to look at the traffic on your blog and see people arriving from different parts of the country, towns and cities where you had no friends or aquaintances. And I thought, "one of them is me!" I hope I'm not intruding on your personal life, since you don't know me. But please know that I've been one of the voices out there, lifing up prayers of strength and peace for you and Greg and your precious kids.

sincerely,
Hannah

Juli said...

Teresa, I told her - thanks!

Hannah, Thank you so much for your prayers. I know at times they are all that sustained us - and still are sometimes to this day. It's so nice to meet you. This blog world makes the world a much smaller place and I love it. I remember meeting Laura at the zoo. She's a friend of my sister-in -law. You are a welcome addition to our journey. Thanks