Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Visiting grandparents and the quiet house

I've had the chance to have a quiet house today. Greg's mom picked up the kids this morning and they're spending the night with her tonight. Some quiet is okay, too much is too much. I was able to get some errands taken care of this morning. When I got back home I thought I'd start on a photo book for Mav. I got started, but it was a bit too difficult. Seeing that sweet face in so many pictures proved to be a bit too much. I stopped. Greg came home and we talked for awhile. I told him how hard it is sometimes to act like everything is okay when it's not. He said I don't have to act like that. The past few days have just been a bit tough. It's just a strange predicament to be in. I want to enjoy our three healthy happy kids and for the most part I do. There are just these rough patches. A friend told me last night, "Unfortunately, Julianne, it will be that way for a long time."
After Greg and I finished talking, we both went to the chiropractor - what a fun date. A little snap-crackle-pop will hopefully do both of us some good. His back is bothering him a little and I'm having some headaches and neck/shoulder issues again. We attempted to go to the movie this evening, but there aren't many good shows out. We were a bit disappointed.
Yesterday, the kids and I went to see my grandparents. My "pa" is now on facebook, so I helped him upload a few photos and he gave Maddie and me some tips on gardening and starting a compost area. I think next year we're going to have a bigger garden. We went to have Mexican food with my "gran." We really enjoyed seeing them. Here they are:


While there, Carter asked where the stationery bike was in the front living room. I looked over where it used to be and was pleasantly surprised to see this:

This was my great-grandma's chair. She lived to be 103. Many of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren were rocked in this chair, including me. She loved babies just like me and my gran. I remember going to visit her and seeing her rock in her chair. She had really long silver hair and would comb it out and put it in a bun while sitting in her chair by the front door. My gran and I started talking and reminiscing about her. If wish I had all my pics arranged - I could post one of her in her chair.
While there, Chloe showed off her new hair cut. Pa said, "They broke the mold when Chloe was born," while I was taking this picture. He had his hand on her head and she replied, "You know dis is my new hai," (she says hair without the "R" on the end).


I just talked to the kids on the phone and just have to share one last thing. Chloe asked me to put her baby in her shirt and pants for bed. She is here and still has on her dress that she put on her this morning. I'm posting a pic of the kids enjoying their favorite summer treats - snowcones. If you notice in one you can see an infant seat. Chloe has to have it in the vehicle for her baby. I figure it's not hurting anything, so why not?

Maddie gets her braces off tomorrow. She's so excited. I'll put some pics on to show off her new smile. Love you all, jc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen that chair in a long time.... Your Gran and Pa are pretty special people!!!
Jenn S