Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Friday, January 16, 2009

"Encouraged by his numbers"

"I'm encouraged by his numbers," those were the words I heard from Dr. Gessouroun this morning. His albumin level is at 3.5 - which is very high for him. They are only giving him 1/kg of albumin when needed for his blood pressure. He got it twice yesterday. Even when he was getting two per kg twice a day his levels weren't that high - I like to think that means the heparin is working for the PLE. His total protein level is also higher. He's tolerating his feedings pretty well. He still has the NG tube down for his gastric secretions, but the amount is decreasing and his stools are getting larger - no diarrhea either. His white count was up to 14 today, which makes me a little nervous, but they've been doing daily blood cultures for several days and so far all those are negative. His CRP was 1.3 today (I think that's what it was - sometimes it's hard to keep track of everything from day to day). They are weaning him from the nitric vent and he doesn't seem to notice at all. The dopamine wasn't working well for his blood pressure, so now it's off and he's on nor-epi. He's still on the propanolol. He continues to lose more fluid as well. His blood gases have been good. I asked Dr. G about weaning the vent today, but he said he doesn't want him using lots of calories on breathing at this point. After the weekend was the answer I got. PLEASE, NO COMPLICATIONS, INFECTIONS, OR SETBACKS!!! He just needs a smooth road. The nephrologist spoke to Greg yesterday and said the progress he's made from last week to this week is nothing short of miraculous. Honestly, I think everyone is surprised. He's such a strong boy. He was awake for several hours this morning and watched his mobile,listened to me talk, and looked at and listened to his books. It's good to get a good view of his pretty blue eyes. I need to get my real camera so you all can see his long eyelashes. Everyone who sees him in person comments on them. It looks like he uses an eyelash curler. Another thanks to everyone for everything. If I had to write thank-you notes to everyone who's helped us in different ways, I'd be writing them for the rest of my life. You all are great - love you all - jc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet baby boy. Teresa told me when she sat with him one night how sweet he is. I'm so glad he's doing better and can enjoy his mobile and books again. You BOTH are amazing parents.