Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Sleepy day

Here's our sleepy boy today. He had a fever today:( They drew a blood culture and sent a sputum sample from his breathing tube. I'm pretty sure it's still the pseudomonas in his lungs. He also had some older cultures from his tube come back positive for stenotrophomonas. That's what he had in his blood at one point. The infectious disease doctor said it's colonization. He's already on the right antibiotics for both. The only real cure for the stuff in his lungs is to get rid of the tube and continue on the antibiotics. We were getting close to getting rid of the tube, but his blood gases last night and this morning weren't the greatest. They had to go up on the pressure support to 14. So, his vent settings are now 55%, rate 10, pressure support 14/5 and tidal volume of 24. They are still pretty low settings. I hope this is just a little setback and doesn't turn into a great big one. Other than that, the day was pretty uneventful. The feeding tube still needs to be inserted a little farther. My favorite resident said she would take care of that tonight. Hopefully that will help with the output from his ng tube. His bottom has been open with oxygen blowing on it for the past few days and it seems like it is getting better.

I spoke with one of the cardiologists yesterday and another one today. We've been having lots of consults lately. We have a lot to think about... It's good that the future comes one day at a time, because that's about all we can handle right now. More on that later.

We had some sweet people from our church come to see Maverick today. We didn't even know them, but they have a granddaughter in the hospital so they came by to say hello. The lady started crying when she saw Maverick. It's alot to take in, but we've gotten used to it. It's strange how such an abnormal situation becomes your normal daily routine. Thanks to all of you who are coming to visit, sitting with Maverick, bringing great dinners, and helping with the kiddos. We love and appreciate you all. jc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful little boy Mav is. Sounds like he is getting stronger in very many ways. He's definitely a fighter. Prayers continue.