Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

5 Months Old

Our sweet boy is five months old today. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined he would still be in the hospital. He had a good night last night. His gas was pretty good this morning, but Dr. G didn't want to start weaning yet. His white count was 24 today - that's down from earlier in the week, but not as low as I'd like it to be. He wasn't quite as awake today and his bottom looked a little worse, but the bottom bed wasn't being used right when I got there this morning and his diaper was next to his skin. Hopefully it will look a little better tomorrow. Baby steps day-by-day - that's all we can hope for, but I'm ready for the full-blown run. I keep telling Mav "We need to make a plan to make a break for it - we're going to run fast and get out of here. You just have to get rid of some of these tubes first."

The kids are out of school tomorrow and Monday. Maddie will be going with me to the hospital tomorrow and we'll take Carter and Chloe to see Mav on Saturday. Chloe really wants to see him. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers - more tomorrow - jc

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful. I love the video. It shows so much more than the pictures. He has gorgeous eyes and you are right about those lashes. Happy, positive thoughts always.
Vanessa Blutrich (Dallas TGA mom)

MKH said...

You and your family and Maverick have been in my prayers since I first heard of the bean dinner fund raiser Marcie helped with. We were unable to go, Daivd was on call I think.

You do such a great job on your blog. It is factual and honest. I have learned a lot and am a RN as well.

Your faith, courage, and determination are a true inspiration to me.

At times I am worried and stressed about my own life... kids, parents, etc. Then I read about Maverick and his cute little pictures of that sweet face and I feel blessed and awed that you stay so positive and strong.

I will continue to keep you and your family (all of you) in my daily prayers. Wish there was more I could do. MK

Anonymous said...

Juli, As I've read your blog the last couple of days, these verses keep coming to mind. You are living God's definition of faith~acting on what you cannot yet see. May God continue to hold you close and heal that precious Mav.
Love and Prayers,
The Crawley Crew

Faith in What We Don't See
(The Message)
1-2The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd.
Hebrews 11 (Amplified Bible)
1NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, [a]the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].
2For by [faith--[b]trust and holy fervor born of faith] the men of old had divine testimony borne to them and obtained a good report.

Anonymous said...

Greg and Juli.....I haven't left a comment before, but I have been keeping up with little Mav. He is adorable. We are all praying for you. love, Cousin Jenna