Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Greg holding Mav

As you can see, Greg held Maverick today. It's been quite awhile since he has - we were still in Dallas. I know he enjoyed spending time with his boy. Mav acted up a little this morning - he desaturated a little and threw up a few times. He was doing well this evening, though. They were able to get labs and his white count is 16. I was hoping it would be lower. They're going to draw another blood culture tomorrow morning. I'm just so ready for this entire infection to be cleared so he can wean from the vent again and we can get home. His little bottom is still bad, but it wasn't bleeding when I was there this evening. I took some different diapers to the hospital to try. The Pampers they use at the hospital are very nice for most babies, but the mesh-like liner in them sticks to Mav's sore bottom. We'll see if another kind will help.

I was kind of having a rough day today - just wishing he could be home, thinking about how long this has been going on, etc., then I got a call from a sweet friend on my way to the hospital. Kim was in town from Houston, TX and came to the hospital with her sister to see Mav. She cheered me up. I have so many great friends to be thankful for. God always seems to know when I need one to call.

Here's a bit about the kids. Chloe tells me everyday, "We need to get that baby home." Maddie went to a cookout at a friends house this evening and Carter had a friend spend the night last night. All the kids are doing pretty well now. Carter and Chloe both had ear infections this week and Carter's been wheezing. I know this crazy weather has something to do with it. It was 70-something degrees here today - but I'm not complaining.

Enough for now. More tomorrow - jc

1 comment:

Aunt Pat said...

Loved the picture of father and son. We know it felt great to have him in your arms.
If Mav isn't peeing I wonder if you could just use a pad under him. It would allow the air and oxygen to circulate better. The tube could be taped to the pad and maybe stay in place better. I always worry about it getting under him. It seems I'm always trying to "build a better mouse trap". Love you guys, aunt Pat