Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Questionable Progress

Today was a busy day for our sweet boy. I got to the hospital to find out his white count today was 32.5 - that's doubled from just two days ago. I was sooo frustrated. He still had a PICC line in (like a long IV that goes further in your vein) that was there when his blood cultures were positive for pseudomonas. No one wanted to pull it at that time because he is a hard stick (it's hard to get IV access on him). When his blood cultures turned negative they wanted to believe the line was cleared from infection (that PICC wouldn't draw blood, so a culture couldn't be drawn from it). I think today probably proves it wasn't cleared. SOOO, Dr. G said if someone could get two IVs in him, he would pull the line. I asked if I could call the girls (some of my friends from Mediflight). He said "Sure, I don't think you would be stepping on anyone's toes by doing that." My friend Lori came up and was able to get two IVs in two sticks. YEA!! The line was pulled this afternoon. I'm bracing for a higher white count tomorrow - that's what has always happened after his infected lines have been pulled. However, Mav got a dose of antibiotics about 2 hours before the line was pulled. Dr. G said that would be a good time to pull it, because the antibiotic level should be at its peak. I would love to be surprised by a lower white count. The feeding tube is still an issue - he didn't go to radiology today. Dr. G tried to replace it this afternoon once and it wasn't in the right place. He tried again after I left, but I haven't heard the results yet. His bottom is still bad. They are adding zinc to his regimen of medications to see if that will help. Greg and I talked about it tonight and I'm going to Walmart tomorrow before I go to the hospital to find a somewhat firm pillow that I can manipulate to make a hole in so his bottom doesn't come in contact with the poo. We'll see how that works. Mav's blood gas was pretty good this morning - they have weaned his rate to 21. We have to get this infection under control to get him weaned off. Thanks for you thoughts and prayers - jc

Just in - the tube is in the right place!

No comments: