Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Frustrated

Sorry for no post yesterday. I was on my way back to Oklahoma in the afternoon and ran into some weather around Atoka, so the trip back took a little longer than normal. He was having a great day and had weaned down to a rate of 16 on his vent. On the way back I called to check on him and he had taken a turn. They had moved him to a different room and things just went downhill from there. He's back up on his rate, his pressure, and his tidal volume and today was another difficult day for him. Greg left late last night and drove to Dallas. By the time he got there, Mav's gases were better (he was doing better on the ventilator). Sooo... today they saw a pleural effusion and had to place a pigtail catheter (he has some fluid in the space between his lung and the inside of his chest wall that needed to be drained) and they decided to change out his vent tube because the cuff was leaking and they thought maybe that was the reason for part of his problems.

Just talked to the nurse - his blood gases are bad. Please say yet another prayer for our precious baby boy. jc

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Juli-
So sorry I missed you tonight! I came to visit Mav and say goodbye to you, but they told me you had gone home yesterday. Greg must have stepped out (I snuck in at shift change). I left a Christmas gift for Mav and a card. I hope that he gets to transfer to OKC soon...

Much love,
Lindsay S.