Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Procedure day

Sorry it's been so long. I was busy with the kids. I really enjoyed my visit home. We just did fun things and hung out together - I even let them ride bikes in Walmart when we went. That is so not me...

So, little Mav, little Mav - he is just on his own schedule. The latter part of the week was good. Greg took a video of him looking and talking to his mobile. If I can figure out a way I will post it on here. Greg held him again while I was gone, then Saturday night he started having a hard time breathing. They placed him back on a high flow nasal cannula, but he continued to have difficulty. He had gotten pretty dehydrated due to all the chest tube output - they had been replacing the output 1/2 ml for every 1ml he had out, but that wasn't quite enough. He also needed some blood. They messed with his meds and everything until Sunday evening, and his breathing was still very labored, so they intubated him. He's back on the vent now. They were going to place him on it this morning for the procedure anyway, but I would've rather that it was just for the procedure instead of him needing it - know what I mean? He did have the pleurodesis at around 11:30 this morning. He was in alot of pain at first, but many doses of fentanyl later and after an increase on his fentanyl drip - he now seems to be pretty comfortable. They had restarted his epi drip yesterday and his milrinone because he needed them, and he probably would've been started back on them today after the procedure anyway. So far he's tolerating the procedure, but the next 48 hours or so will be the testing time. Hopefully he won't have as bad of a reaction this time. Keep praying. Love you all - I'll be better about updating this week. jc


Anonymous said...

Hi, friend! It is great to see the pictures of him. And, oh that pacifier video. He looks & sounds so sweet!

I am so happy you were able to spend time with the kids in Shawnee - I hope it filled you all with joy and comfort.

I am praying for little Mav. That his response to the procedure will be better than last time and that he will "get the show on the road!" :)

Above all ... God's blessing and timing will prove perfect. I love you - Kristi

Quentin said...

Hey there,
Just wanted you to know that you are on my heart and mind, as is precious baby maverick. There are a lot of people out here sending prayers in your names. I am always a phone call away if you ever need to vent.
Kelley Lobb