Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

It's been a bit of a rough day today. I went to the cemetery - I was just missing him so much. My dad and grandmother came down today. They used to come every - every other weekend before Mav. I enjoyed seeing them, but couldn't stop thinking, "The reason they were able to come today was because Mav died." No one was at the hospital, the kids weren't at someone else's house. I've also made dinner twice this week - same reason. It just made me very sad. I know it's not productive to think like that, but it's hard not to. It seems like I'll have some good days and then bad. A friend tells me to expect this for at least the first year.

I usually have no problems sleeping, but lately I haven't been sleeping well. I had a prescription called in for some medicine to help me sleep. Hopefully it will work. Sleep is expensive these days...

The kids are doing well. Maddie and Carter are busy with school and don't seem upset very often. Chloe will bring up, "Maverick died" about every day. She likes to dress her dolls in Mav's clothes. Greg is doing well, he has his moments too, though. I guess all this is to be expected.

I received a call from a friend from church today asking about the breast milk. I was able to put some of it to good use today. There's a mom with a one week old baby who had to be admitted to the hospital for pneumonia - she's been very sick. She is pumping, but is unable to give the breast milk to the baby due to the medications she is on. It makes me feel better that what was meant for Mav is helping another baby and not just going in the trash. Please pray for this mom's recovery.

Wishes for a good week. Love you all - jc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Juli:
I wanted to tell you that Mav touched even the youngest ones as well. Just a little insight every night as we said our prayers "baby Mav" would always be on the list. Raigan our oldest was always so concerned about how he was doing. Over the past week we have talked with her about Mav being in Heaven, and all the things that he is getting to do with Jesus.

So, yesterday on our way to church Raigan out of the blue said "I bet baby Maverick is looking down right now and smiling at everyone going to church." Aaron and I just smiled and said yeah I bet you are right!

I just wanted you to know that everyone was truly touched by Mav. We continue to pray for you guys every day.

Love
Jenn Stepp