Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A bit of a rough day today for Mav, but I think he's slowly beginning to do better. The good news is the heart echo this morning looked good. He's very edematous and still holding onto the fluid they're giving him. His labs for his renal function were increased this morning (BUN 40's and creat 0.9) meaning that his kidney function was decreased. They were going to place a peritoneal dialysis catheter this afternoon (a catheter in his abdomen to try to use dialysis to get some fluid off), but the surgeon came in and said he didn't think it was a good idea right now with all the pressure and swelling in his abdomen. They really weren't even very confident at how well it would work, but they were at the point where they were willing to try. Then, they redrew his labs this afternoon and his creatinine was down to 0.5! I'm happy for the small things. They're hopeful he's starting to turn the corner. He always does this after any surgery or procedure and it just takes him awhile to get better. When he's in the middle of this time, it's hard to remember it just takes time for him to rebound and I worry alot. He's paralyzed and sedated right now and has been since yesterday. It's easier for them to ventilate (breathe for) him now with him paralyzed due to all the edema in his chest. He's back on all the drips - epi, norepi and milrinone. They've restarted the diuretic coctail. I think they're planning on taking out his pacer wires tomorrow and his mediastinal chest tube (the tube draining the drainage from his mid-chest - it was placed during his heart surgery on Monday). Keep the prayers going - we want to be home by Christmas! jc

1 comment:

cindy said...

Hang in there, you're doing great!
Love, Cindy