Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Mav continues to improve. His weight is down to 4.6 kg (just over 10 lbs) today from 4.7 yesterday. They've stopped replacing the output from the abdominal drain and his blood pressure is tolerating it so far. He's done well on the new ventilator mode and has even been able to wean a little - yea! Everyone seems to be happy with his progress, however slow it is. He was awake on and off all night and didn't really get any good sleep and he was awake alot this morning. It was like he was making up for lost time. His nurse gave him some ativan this afternoon and he slept great for quite awhile. I put his mobile back up on his bed yesterday afternoon and I think he was happy to see it. He's been studying my face when I talk to him like he's thinking, "I remember you."

Mav had some company this morning from his great aunt Sheila and her son-in-law Justin. Justin is a youth pastor here in Texas and has been checking up on us since we've been here, and Sheila came to Texas to see her daughter. She lives in Oklahoma not too far from us. It was good to see them and I'm sure it's reassuring for Greg's mom to hear from someone else besides us that he's looking good. I know how gramdma's tend to worry alot. We are blessed to have grandma's on both sides and even great-grandmas on my side.

My mom is here now and I'm enjoying spending time with her. I don't get to see her as much as I'd like, so this is great. Things seem better when your mom is around - you know? We got out of the hospital for a little while when Mav was sleeping. It helps to get out a little bit.

Alot of people have asked how I'm doing. Just to let you all know, we have all been well taken care of while we've been here. We've found many new friends in the nurses, doctors, and other staff here. They have been so supportive and understanding. I couldn't ask for more caring people. We have been really blessed.

As for Greg, I'm happy to report his back pain has eased up some. He seems to be feeling better than he has in quite awhile. That's a big answer to prayer. He's with the kids, and they all sound happy. I'm glad we'll be able to start switching back and forth so one of us can stay with them. We're so grateful for our families who have been helping with their care, but I know the kids need us there.

I'll go for now. I'll post a new pic tomorrow. Thanks for everything - jc

No comments: