Baby Maverick

This blog was created to keep family and friends updated on what's going on with the pregnancy, birth, and surgical plan for Maverick. We'll also be able to keep everyone updated during his surgery and recovery and hopefully be able to show you some cute pictures of him, Maddie, Carter and Chloe along the way.

This was the original intent; however, when we started this blog we had no idea the twists and turns our lives would take. Our sweet baby Maverick was born September 12, 2008 with Transposition of the Great Arteries, ASD, and VSD. We expected to have a baby boy to bring home three to four weeks after his surgery. He had numerous complications after his arterial switch and fought through many that would have taken the life from an adult. He passed away February 24, 2009 - without ever coming home.

This blog is now a place I share my feelings, work through the grief, remember Maverick, and try to make sense out of our life without him. I hope in doing so I am giving a name and a face to babies everywhere born with congenital heart defects.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mav is tolerating the dialysis well. They have been able to pull off a little bit of fluid and his output has been increasing today. If all continues to go well, his weight should be down tonight. He has also started making a bit more urine. Not alot, but better than nothing. Since starting the dialysis they have been able to turn off his nor-epi drip and have weaned his epi as well. The doctors seem encouraged. His BUN and creatinine had been increasing until this afternoon when they were a bit lower. His color looks much better today. He did have pseudomonas in his nasotracheal tube and in his abdominal drainage as well. They have him on the appropriate antibiotics and think the infection is the cause of his recent problems. He is still a very sick little boy, but seems to be going in a more positive direction. To be honest, I was a mess yesterday. He just didn't look good. I read back through my journal (I've been keeping one since before he was born) and it helped calm me a little and put things in perspective. He has been sicker than this in the past and has pulled out of it. There is one Bible verse that I kept coming across and I realized I had written it in my journal several times. It helped me yesterday. It may help some of you who are having your own battles right now: Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks. And God's peace, which is so great we cannot understand it, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:6-7.

Greg and I switched places this weekend. The kids and I returned to Shawnee tonight with my mom and Greg is with Mav in Dallas. It's hard to leave him and just seems so wrong, but I know he's in good hands (his daddy's and the nurses' and doctors'). I've really missed my other kiddos, so it will be nice to be with them.

On a lighter note, you know how I like funny stories? Here's one for you that happened on the way home this evening. My little Chloe is three and is such a flirt with men. We had to stop at a gas station so she could go to the restroom. We pulled up and were parked close to a "biker." He was by his bike when we got out of the truck and started walking in. She looked over at him and flashed him a smile and said, "HI!" as she waved. He politely said "hi" back to her. She then looks at him with a grin and says, "nice motorcycle" in her little three-year-old dialect. He said "thanks" and I just cracked up... We are in for trouble with this one!

I'll post some pics of Mav and the other kiddos tomorrow. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Love you all, jc

No comments: